Saturday, March 6, 2010

Gamer Geek squeal heard around the world!

I didn't get any gaming in at all yesterday and I probably won't all weekend since I'll have to fight with the kids for the Mass Effect 2 game.

That aside, as I sat in the doctor's office yesterday I got a text from G4TV. Valve, one of my favorite game developers, has announced that they will be releasing a Portal 2. I am soooooo excited. There are not enough o's for the end of that to express my excitement. Portal is one of my favorite games ever!

Portal is a first person puzzler. Seriously, that is the only way to describe it. You are in a test facility run by Aperture Science. The facility is controlled by GLaDOS the computer. You get a gun that makes portals and you work your way through levels, using logic. GLaDOS' dialog is rib cracking funny. At one point she gets mad at you and tells you no one loves you and you were adopted. Portal is connected to the game Half-Life. Black Mesa, the "bad" company in that game is even mentioned in GLaDOS' theme song.

I am curious as to how they are going to proceed with a second Portal considering the way the first ended but it looks like there will be a co-op mode this time. Now that will be fun!

There are a couple of ways to get Portal if you own an Xbox 360. You can download the game from the Xbox Marketplace by itself. This version has a few more achievements and some more "advanced" levels. Or you can buy The Orange Box and get 5 games for around $27. I highly recommend The Orange Box. It is a great game package and a fantastic deal. You'll get Portal, Half-Life 2. Half-Life 2: Episode 1, Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and Team Fortress which is an online only multiplayer game. The Half-Life games are wonderful and Team Fortress is fun but does have a learning curve.

I wonder if this means Valve is working on Half-Life 3 or even Half-Life 2: Episode 2. I know people are just dying to get their hands on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment