Sunday, June 30, 2013

Gearbox is Brilliant



So I have gone back and restarted the new Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep DLC for Borderlands 2. This time with the goal of doing all the side missions. From the few that I have done, I can safely say the guys over at Gearbox are maniacal geniuses.

You would have to be to pull of poking fun at the people that buy your games and yet have them stop at laugh at themselves. Be warned, this will contain light spoilers from this point on.

So one of the side missions has you searching for some poor guy's souls. Apparently there is a big bad player that keeps killing him (spawn killing?) while he's trying to open chests. Once you find his souls, you now have to take on the bad guy...with the gamertag "noob_killer". This made me make the most unattractive snorting noises. How many times have you been in a multiplayer game and came across someone with a gamertag like this?

The next "poke fun at gamers" moment I came across involved a team of other gamers. You are required to kill a monster and you have to be the one to kill it but these three tools keep stealing your kill. Now it's up to you to make them rage quit. Each player has a typical douchey gamertag and each one requires you to humiliate them in some way. One you must melee kill twice, the second one you have to get two headshot kills on but it's the third one that made me giggle...you must teabag his body twice. Yes, teabag!  I admit, I got way too much pleasure from doing this. I think it is left over hostility from when I started playing online. I began my Xbox 360 MP gaming life with Halo 3. Halo 3 is the teabagging-est game on the planet. Granted, I learned to be a better player because I would revenge kill anyone that would teabag my body, revenge kill them over and over....and over.

Now those two missions make me wonder who at Gearbox decided that this was the best way to get back at all those annoying online players we all hate so much? I would like to shake that hand of this person(s) and buy them a beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment