Saturday, July 23, 2011

L.A. Noire

I finally picked up L.A. Noire. I am cheap, actually I am the mother of 5 and usually broke, but I got a nice deal on this copy.

So far, I really, really like it. Rockstar finally made a game I like. I am not a fan of Grand Theft Auto and Red Dead Redemption felt like GTA with horses. Do not get angry because I said that because it is just my opinion. Red Dead felt like they just slapped a western theme over GTA.

At any rate, I really like L.A. Noire. It is a slow paced game and very methodical. You really have to pay attention to the actions of the characters in the game and every decision you make has a bearing on the story and ending. If you restart a mission, subtle changes happen. Anything from the clothing NPCs are wearing to conversations going on around you.

You are a police officer and eventually become a detective. You find clues and questions people to solve various crimes throughout 1940s Hollywoodland. Rockstar did their research! As a California transplant, I have driven the streets they show in the game and they nailed it.

There are other side things to do like find 95 cars, movie reels and newspapers. It is pretty open world in the sense you can drive to any place you want to. There is a linear storyline though. I still am not a fan of Rockstar's driving mechanics and they have not changed at all for the driving in this game.

The thing that really impressed me was the facial animations. I haven't seen a game that has been able to capture the subtleties of eyebrow movements, forehead wrinkling, and other small facial nuances the way Rockstar has. The mouths moves when speaking and the shape of the mouths when forming the words is absolutely stunning.

You have the option to wear different suits and there is even an option to play the game in black and white, noire style.

If you are looking for a GTA/Red Dead style, fast paced shoot'em up, this is not the game for you. If you want a game that will absorb you and make you use your mind, pick this up.

No comments:

Post a Comment